Friday, September 30, 2005

Moroccans and the mobile phone

"Blogging on Joi Ito's blog, Thomas Crampton reports on his experiences with Moroccan customs around the use of mobile phones; i.e., they don't answer if they don't like what they see on caller-id. Is this true in general? Or does this custom differ from one culture to another?In reporting stories in Casablanca this week I have faced a unique problem due to Moroccan mobile phone habits.More than any other country I have ever visited,Moroccans used caller ID.It seems to be part of the phone answering process to closely look at the number of the person calling before deciding whether or not to answer. Often they will let it ring if they can't figure out whose number it is.In most places people look at caller ID and then answer.From my point of view the result has been that my money-saving tactic of using a local pre-paid card does not work.Three times now (I am a slow learner) people whom I was supposed to meet for an interview simply did not answer their phone until I called using my French mobile phone on costly roaming. It was a fairly good cross section of society: One was a politician, the other a university academic and the other a musician."
Via
[Moroccan Mobile Phone Customs]

No comments: